The Physician Carter is the centerpiece of the ABIM’s engagement in medical professionalism. The Charter has as its fundamental principles the primacy of patient welfare, patient autonomy, and social justice. The Charter also conveys professional commitments of physicians and health care professionals, including improving access to high quality care, advocating for a just and cost-effective distribution of finite resources, and maintaining trust by managing conflicts of interest.
- What is medical professionalism?
- The human rights basis for professionalism in health care
- The Ethical Basis for Professionalism in Health Care
- ABIM Physician Charter
- Environmental forces that affect physician behavior
- Medical Professionalism and Human Rights Teaching Module